Saturday, December 5, 2015

THERE'S A NEW MST3K?!?!?!!?



Nostalgia can be a bitch. I've ranted and raved about the effect of it plenty of times before, considering we've seen revivals of everything from Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Godzilla, and plenty, plenty more besides. Now, we're about to get something that I know just about all of us are nostalgic for...

...motherfucking Mystery Science Theater 3000.

That's right you fucks, we're getting a revival of MST3K, and unlike just about all of the other revivals, reboots, retreads, etc., this is a revival I can totally fucking get behind. Somehow, someway, that show has managed to resonate with people even after close to two decades of being off the air. How the fuck is something like that possible? A show about three assholes riffing on terrible movies that has managed to not only stay in the public consciousness, but also has somehow even more surprisingly managed to hold up.

That in itself isn't just an extreme rarity, it's practically impossible to do so, and MST3K has done just that.

There's been news of casting current nerdcore-types like Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt in villainous roles (as the daughter of Dr. Forrester and son of TV's Frank), which is all well and good I guess, but aren't they a little too...mainstream for something like MST3K? One of the charms of MST3K, at least to me anyway, has always been that it's a cult show (that somehow has managed to achieve widespread appeal all this time). The pessimist in me is concerned that this new take on the show will lack the charm, and humor, of the original series and will instead rely on more conventional structure to appeal to a mainstream audience. I sincerely hope that this isn't the case, and I'm just being a cynical bastard.

No matter what, I'll be checking out this new take on MST3K. I hope to fucking Christ I'll be pleasantly surprised by the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment